Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Osa

As I type this 2 things are going on.

1. I am watching "I Cloned My Pet" on TLC.

2. My mom is at the vet waiting to put down our family dog.

Right after I got a text (an hour ago) about Osa from my brother, this show started.
It documents the distress that pet-owners go through after the loss of a pet and the lengths to which some will go to become reunited with that pet.

I am not going to write about whether I think those people are crazy or justified in their efforts... I am only going to say that there is no other relationship on earth like the one you have with your pet. They are loyal and loving, and though they cannot speak, their actions speak measures. They are also totally dependent on us and it's our responsibility as pet-owners to take the very best care possible of our pets while they are in our lives. I feel bad because I don't think I showed her that same love and loyalty back. I know I didn't. I also know that the grief of a pet can be devastating and it's ok and perfectly normal to grieve that loss of such a unique companion.

My mother was the closest to her. She ended up taking full responsibility after my brothers and I, honestly, got over the idea (responsibilities) of having a puppy. She's with her now and that's got to be hard. I'm pretty sure my mom would clone her and start Osa's life all over if she could.

 One small thing that stands out in my mind about her is this... When I lived at home, and would be upset over something and crying, I'd sometimes go into the garage and sit on the floor near some old boxes. Osa, every time, would walk into the garage, and sit right beside me and that would somehow comfort me. She didn't want any attention or to play, she just wanted to sit right next to me while I cried. Like any pet, she was loving and definitely loyal regardless of how we may have treated her.... I am thankful for those moments and grateful for her.

my brother and Osa... about 12-13 years ago.






1 comment:

  1. **hugs** I have been there friend. I agree with you- those furrballs somehow wiggle their wiggle tails and floppy ears into our hearts and they never leave.

    ReplyDelete